Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Stoltenberg: Refusing to Be a Man


"Refusing to be a Man" by John Stoltenberg was my first exposure to radical PRO-feminist theory, and my reaction was defensive and predictable. I heard Stoltenberg speaking at the National Conference on Men and Masculinity in Pittsburgh in 1989, and thought the author was "misandryst". How can I refuse to be a man? What am I supposed to be? Not all men!

Now, 2-1/2 decades later, I've grown to understand that only by refusing to "Be a Man" could I discover the true nature of my masculinity, that by joining the feminist struggle to end sexism and homophobia I could help liberate men from patriarchy as well. Here's a rare link is where the comments are actually worth reading! https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/433187.Refusing_to_be_a_Man

(Picture is John Stoltenberg with his parter, radical feminist Andrea Dworkin)

No comments:

Post a Comment